I’ve been keeping fish since January now and only had 1 death… an otocinclus catfish that passed for no reason. Actually, otos are known for their delicacy. These fish are caught wild in rivers in Indonesia using cyanide. I would be a little stressed too.
However, now an ugly parasite has appeared in my tank. This will be my first experience with ill fish that don’t die instantly. I have diagnosed at least three gouramis with an intestinal parasite based on listless behavior, resting on the bottom of the tank, eating strangely, and abnormal poo. Yes, I watch the fishes poo… though in this case it’s kind of hard to miss since the poo is longer than the fish.
I’ll be ordering some Paracide-D at O’dark thirty in the morning (or whenever they’ll take my call). Hopefully, I can get the treatment in time to not lose any of my prize fish. I’m fairly certain that fish can live a while with an internal parasite. A week shouldn’t be out of possibility.
Wish me luck.